Main Article Content
The research aimed to test the new measures of employee empowerment in a collectively social oriented society. The study applied questionnaire-based survey to obtain data and test the relationship between employee empowerment and organisational performance. A total of 80 completed questionnaires from the senior HR personnel from 40 organisations in the Gambia took part in the survey. Ten employees were engaged in a face-to-face interview, 2 private and 8 public organisations from among the 40 organisations that participated. Both SPSS and SmartPLS were utilised to analyse data. MGA is used to determine the difference private and public organisations. The study has indicated a significant relationship between employee empowerment and organisational performance. The findings revealed a small but not significant difference between the private and public organisations in their definition of employee empowerment in the Gambia based on MGA report. The findings discovered that the social nature of employees cannot be disputed, and a strong recognition of employees promotes organisation performance. HR department and organisational flexibility relates more to employee’s empowerment and has effect on attitude and behaviour. The study recommends further large-scale research in other environments outside the Gambia.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Badjie, G., Armanu, T., Djumilah, H., & Rofiq, A. (2019). Introducing New Employee Empowerment Approach: A Systematic Literature Review. Journal of Humanities & Social Sciences Review,17 (5), 696-706.
- Bandura, A. (1986). The Explanatory and Predictive Scope of Self-Efficacy Theory. Journal of Social & Clinical Psychology, 4 (3), 359-373. https://doi.org/10.1521/jscp.1922.214.171.1249
- Block, P. (1987). The empowered manager: Positive political skills at work. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Brymer, R. A. (1991). Employee Empowerment: A Guest- Driven Leadership Strategy. Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Administration Quarterly, 32(1), 58-68. https://doi.org/10.1177/001088049103200116
- Cole, A., G. & Kelly, P. (2015). Management Theory & Practice: 8th edition, pp.42-64, CENGAGE learning, USA.
- Conger, J., & Kanungo, R. (1988). The Empowerment Process: Integrating Theory and Practice. The Academy of Management Review, 13(3), 471-482. Retrieved December 8, 2020, from http://www.jstor.org/stable/258093
- Deci, E. L. (1971). Effects of externally mediated rewards on intrinsic motivation. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 18(1), 105–115. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0030644
- Derry, R. (1991). Institutionalizing ethical motivation in business ethics’, in E. Freeman (Ed.), Business Ethics: The State of Art. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Fujimoto, Y., Rentschler, R., Le, H., Edwards, D. & Härtel, C.E.J. (2014). Lessons learned from community organizations: inclusion of people with disabilities and others. British Journal of Management, 25(3), 518-537. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8551.120
- Guest, D. E. (1997). Human Resource Management and Performance: A Review and Research Agenda. International Journal of Human Resource Management. 8(3), 263-276. https://doi.org/10.1080/095851997341630
- Honold, C. (1997). A review of the Literature on Employee Empowerment. Journal of Empowerment in Organisations, 5(4), 202-212. https://doi.org/10.1108/14634449710195471
- Kanter R. M. (1979). Power failure in Management circuits. Harvard Business Review, 57(4), 65-75. https://hbr.org/1979/07/power-failure-in-management-circuits
- Kelley, S. W. (1993). Discretion and the Service employees. Journal of Retailing, 69(1), 104-126. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4359(05)80005-3
- Ketkar, S. A. & Sett, P. (2009). Environmental dynamism, human resource flexibility and firm performance: Analysis of a multi-level causal model. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 21, 1173-1206. https://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2010.483841
- Koblenz, M. (2003). Ten Best Practices of Companies That Care, Employment Relations Today, Wiley Online Library, 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/ert.10092
- Le, H., Polonsky, M. & Arambewela, R. (2014). Social inclusion through cultural engagement among ethnic communities. Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, 24(4), 375-400. https://doi.org/10.1080/19368623.2014.911714
- Mafini C. (2015). Predicting Organisational Performance Through Innovation, Quality and Inter-Organisational Systems: A Public Sector Perspective. The Journal of Applied Business Research, The Clute Institute, 31(3), 939-952. https://doi.org/10.19030/jab
- Maslow A. H. (1954), Motivation and Personality, New York: Harper and Bros
- McClelland, D. C. (1975). Power: The inner experience. New York: Irvington Press
- Menon, S. T. (2001). employee empowerment: An integrative psychological approach, Journal of Applied Psychology: An International review, 50(1), 153-180. https://doi.org/10.1111/1464-0597.00052
- Ngo, H. Y. & Loi, R. (2008). Human resource flexibility, organisational culture and firm performance: An investigation of multinational firms in Hong Kong. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 19, 1654-1666. https://doi.org/10.1080/0958
- Paauwe, J. (2004). HRM and Performance: Achieving long-term viability. Industrial & Labor Relations Review. https://doi.org/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780199273904.001.0001
- Ringle, C. M., Wende, S., & Becker, J. M. (2015), “smartPLS 3”. Boeningstedt: SmartPLS GmbH, http//www.smartpls.com
- Roberson, Q. M. (2006). Disentangling the Meanings of Diversity and Inclusion in Organizations. Group & Organization Management, 31(2), 212-236. https://doi.org/10.1177/1059601104273064.
- Spreitzer, G.M. (1996). Social Characteristics of Psychological Empowerment. The Academy of Management Journal, 39(2), 483-504. https://doi.org/10.2307/256789
- Thomas, K. W. & Velthouse B. A. (1990). Cognitive elements of empowerment: An “interpretative” Model of intrinsic task motivation. Academy of Management Review, 15(4), pp. 666-681. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1990.4310926
- Vogt, F. J. & Murrell, L. K. (1990). Empowerment in organizations: how to spark exceptional performance. USA: University Associates, Inc.
- White, R. W. (1959). Motivation reconsidered. Psychological Review, 66(5), 297–333. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0040934
- Wong, K. K.K. (2013). Partial Least Squares Structural Equation Modeling (PLS-SEM) Techniques Using SmartPLS. Marketing Bulletin, 24(1), 1-32.