Main Article Content
This study is an exploratory descriptive research that attempts to explore the measurement indicators of debtors’ behavior in microfinance industry. It employs as much of previous studies showed little attention in the relation of debtor's behaviour and non-performing loans. On the contrary, they spotlight more on the banking-specific information and macroeconomics factors. Therefore, this research tries to discover the debtor's behaviour which is assumed to have an impact on non-performing loans. The behaviours which employed and proposed are impulsiveness, risk-taking behaviour, and trustworthiness. This study aims to inquiry the measurement scales of proposed behaviours as well as test the validity and reliability of those indicators by employing exploratory factor analysis (EFA). The result shows that there are three indicators accepted being a measuring instrument of impulsiveness, two for risk-taking behaviour, and four signs for trustworthiness. It also examines in the descriptive analysis of the debtor's behaviour based on their socio-demographic criteria such as gender, age, marriage status, and wage. The research result would give an insight into both empirical and practical advantage in terms of microfinancing management. Theoretically, this paper serves a valid and reliable of debtors’ behavior measurement scales that would contribute for future research in testing the relation of such behavior variables to non-performing loans.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Abid, L., Ouertani, M. N., & Zouari-Ghorbel, S. (2014). Macroeconomic and Bank-specific Determinants of Household’s Non-performing Loans in Tunisia: A Dynamic Panel Data. Procedia Economics and Finance, 13(December 2013), 58–68. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2
- Alali, F., & Romero, S. (2013). Characteristics of failed U . S . commercial banks : an exploratory study. Accounting and Finance, 53(August 2011), 1149–1174. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-629X.2012.00491.x
- Amuakwa-mensah, F., Marbuah, G., Ani-asamoah, D., & Amuakwa-mensah, F. (2017). Re-examining the Determinants of Non- Performing Loans in Ghana ’ s Banking Industry : Role of the 2007 – 2009 Financial Crisis Re-examining the Determinants of Non-Performing
- Arya, S., Eckel, C., & Wichman, C. (2013). Anatomy of the credit score. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 95, 175–185. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jebo.2011.05.005
- Assibey, E. O., & Asenso, K. J. (2015). Regulatory capital and its effect on credit growth, non-performing loans and bank efficiency. Journal Pf Financial Economic Policy, 7(4), 401–420. https://doi.org/10.1108/JEIM-02-2014-0013
- Betz, J., Kruger, S., Kellner, R., & Rosch, D. (2017). Macroeconomics Effects and Frailties in the Resolution of Non-Performing Loans. Journal of Banking & Finance. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.media.2017.03.008
- Chijoriga, M. M. (2011). Application of multiple discriminant analysis (MDA) as a credit scoring and risk assessment model. International Journal of Emerging Markets, 6(2), 132–147. https://doi.org/10.1108/17468801111119498
- Çifter, A. (2015). Bank concentration and non- performing loans in Central and Eastern European countries. Journal Businees Economics and Management, 16(1), 117–137. https://doi.org/10.3846/16111699.2012.720590
- Dimitrios, A., Helen, L., & Mike, T. (2016). Determinants of non-performing loans: Evidence from Euro-area countries. Finance Research Letters, 18, 116–119. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.frl.2016.04.008
- Eng, L. L., & Nabar, S. (2007). Loan loss provisions by banks in Hong Kong, Malaysia and Singapore. Journal of International Financial Management and Accounting, 18(1), 18–38. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-646X.2007.01006.x
- Festić, M., Kavkler, A., & Repina, S. (2011). The macroeconomic sources of systemic risk in the banking sectors of five new EU member states. Journal of Banking and Finance, 35(2), 310–322. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbankfin.2010.08.007
- Filip, B. F. (2015). The Quality of Bank Loans within the Framework of Globalization. Procedia Economics and Finance, 20(15), 208–217. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671(15)00067-2
- Garcia-Marco, T., & Robles-Fernandez, M. D. (2008). Risk-taking behaviour and ownership in the banking industry: The Spanish evidence. Journal of Economics and Business, 60(4), 332–354. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeconbus.2007.04.008
- Ghosh, A. (2015). Banking-industry specific and regional economic determinants of non-performing loans: Evidence from US states. Journal of Financial Stability, 20, 93–104. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfs.2015.08.004
- Ghosh, A. (2017). Sector-specific analysis of non-performing loans in the US banking system and their macroeconomic impact. Journal of Economics and Business. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jeconbus.2017.06.002
- Ghosh, S. (2005). Does leverage influence banks’ non-performing loans? Evidence from India. Applied Economics Letters, 12(15), 913–918. https://doi.org/10.1080/13504850500378064
- Godlewski, C. J. (2005). Bank capital and credit risk taking in emerging market economies. Journal of Banking Regulation, 6(2), 128–145. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jbr.2340187
- Greenwood, M., & Iii, H. J. V. B. (2010). Trust and Stakeholder Theory : Trustworthiness in the Organisation – Stakeholder Relationship. Journal of Business Ethics, 95(3), 425–438. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-010-0414-4
- Kauko, K. (2012). External deficits and non-performing loans in the recent financial crisis. Economics Letters, 115(2), 196–199. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.econlet.2011.12.018
- Kjosevski, J., & Petkovski, M. (2017). Non-performing loans in Baltic States : determinants and macroeconomic effects Non-performing loans in Baltic States : determinants and. Baltic Journal of Economics, 17(1), 25–44. https://doi.org/10.1080/1406099X.201
- Lee, S. (2002). Financial Restructuring in Korea and Japan: Resolution of Non-Performing Loans and Reorganization of Financial Institutions. Journal of East Asian Studies, 2(2), 143–185. https://doi.org/10.1017/S159824080000093X
- Lejuez, C. W., Read, J. P., Kahler, C. W., Richards, J. B., Ramsey, S. E., Stuart, G. L., … Brown, R. A. (2002). Evaluation of a behavioral measure of risk taking: The Balloon Analogue Risk Task (BART). Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied, 8(2), 7
- Li, Y. (2003). The Asian Financial Crisis and Non-performing Loans: Evidence from Commercial Banks in Taiwan. International Journal of Management, 20(1).
- Louzis, D. P., Vouldis, A. T., & Metaxas, V. L. (2012). Macroeconomic and bank-specific determinants of non-performing loans in Greece: A comparative study of mortgage, business and consumer loan portfolios. Journal of Banking and Finance, 36(4), 1012–102
- Lu, D., Thangavelu, S. M., & Hu, Q. (2005). Biased Lending and Non-performing Loans in China’s Banking Sector. Journal of Development Studies, 41(6), 1071–1091. https://doi.org/10.1080/00220380500155361
- Messai, A. S., & Jouini, F. (2013). Micro and Macro Determinants of Non-performing Loans. International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, 3(4), 852–860. https://doi.org/10.1300/J079v27n04_02
- Nikolaidou, E., & Vogiazas, S. (2016). Credit risk determinants in Sub-Saharan banking systems : Evidence from five countries and lessons learnt from Central East and South East European countries. Review of Development Finance Journal, 1–37. https://doi.
- Noglo, Y., & Androuais, A. (2015). The determinants of group lending repayment performance: evidence from Togo. Canadian Journal of Development Studies, 36(4), 536–554. https://doi.org/10.1080/02255189.2015.1046372
- Patton, J. H., Stanford, M. S., & Barrat, E. S. (1995). Factor-Structure-of-the-Barratt-Impulsiveness-Scale.pdf. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 51(6).
- Saba, I., Kouser, R., & Azeem, M. (2012). Determinants of Non Performing Loans The case of Ethiopian Banks. The Romanian Economic Journal, 44(XV), 141–152.
- Skarica, B. (2014). Determinants of non-performing loans in Central and Eastern European countries. Financial Theory and Practice, 38(1), 37–59. https://doi.org/10.3326/fintp.38.1.2
- Soedarmono, W., & Sitorus, D. (2017). Abnormal loan growth, credit information sharing and systemic risk in Asian banks. Research in International Business and Finance. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ribaf.2017.07.058
- Suzuki, Y., Miah, M. D., & Yuan, J. (2008). China’s Non-Performing Bank Loan Crisis: the role of economic rents. Asian Pacific Economic Literature, 22(1), 57–70. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8411.2008.00212.x
- Tarchouna, A., Jarraya, B., & Bouri, A. (2017). How to explain non-performing loans by many corporate governance variables simultaneously? A corporate governance index is built to US commercial banks. Research in International Business and Finance. https:
- Us, V. (2017). Dynamics of non-performing loans in the Turkish banking sector by an ownership breakdown: The impact of the global crisis. Finance Research Letters, 20, 109–117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.frl.2016.09.016
- Viswanadham, N., & Nahid, B. (2015). Determinants of Non Performing Loans in Commercial Banks : A Study of NBC Bank Dodoma Tanzania. International Journal of Financace & Banking Studies, 4(1), 70–95.
- Vithessonthi, C. (2016). Deflation, bank credit growth, and non-performing loans: Evidence from Japan. International Review of Financial Analysis, 45, 295–305. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.irfa.2016.04.003
- Waqas, M., Fatima, N., Khan, A., & Arif, M. (2017). Determinants of Non-performing Comparative Study of Pakistan , Loans : A Comparative Study of Pakistan, India, and Bangladesh. Finance & Banking Studies, 6(1), 51–68.